This program gives participants a better understanding of laws that affect how we handle overpayments, deceased employee pay, termination pay, and other “special” pay situations.
The session covers timing, methods, and taxation, as well as best practices for recouping funds from both active and terminated employees who were overpaid or paid incorrectly.
About Your Instructor
- Review of common special pay situations, including payroll overpayments, deceased employee pay, termination pay
- How to handle employee loans and advances
- The tax implications of overpayments, deceased employee pay, and terminations
- Final pay issues for terminated employees - from severance to legal settlements
- For deceased employees, how to determine to whom final payments should be made
- What are the best methods for recouping overpaid dollars and non-cash items
- What special state and federal laws should be considered
- Special year-end reporting concerns
Dayna Reum, CPP, FPC, is a payroll professional with over 15 years experience in both teaching and handling payroll. She holds both a Certified Payroll Professional and a Fundamental Payroll Certification designation, and is the Course Editor for the Payroll Fundamentals Training & Certification Program.
Dayna is a frequent presenter on various payroll topics, and has worked for companies such as PetSmart, Honeywell, and the American Payroll Association. She also serves on the National American Payroll Association on the national Strategic Leadership Task Force and has received a Citation of Merit, and is a Gold Pin member of the APA. She is certified in HR hiring and firing practices, and is a Six-Sigma Greenbelt.
This program has been approved for 1.5 re-certification credit hours for HRCI's PHR and SPHR designations through the HR Certification Institute. For more information about certification or re-certification, please visit the HR Certification Institute website at www.hrci.org. The use of this seal is not an endorsement by HRCI of the quality of the program. It means that this program has met HRCIs criteria to be pre-approved for re-certification credit.
SHRM Professional Development Credits
This program is valid for 1.5 Professional Development Credits (PDCs) for the SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP designations. For more information about certification or re-certification, please visit www.shrmcertification.org.
Cannot Attend The Live Presentation?
This presentation is also available in a recorded format, in On-Demand Or CD versions, as shown in the pricing options below.